Sometimes we put a lot of time and effort into creating something only to look at the end product and go “nah!”
Such was the case with the home page slideshow viewer that I’d done previously. My problem with it in the final analysis was that it made viewing the slideshow – ostensibly the main feature of the homepage – both less accessible and required that I create a placeholder animation to show while the slideshow wasn’t visible. Those problems had been nagging at me on some level the entire time while I was creating and programming, but I felt I had to at least push through to completion on what I had originally designed.
I may use all those functions and graphics again at some point in the future, but for now I think the homepage more directly addresses the function that it needs to fulfill. It directly displays the portfolio images and the horizontal format lets me present the images in a more prominent size.
I’m largely satisfied with the current state of the site and can return to creating actual content. I might have some tweaks or redesigned sections later on, but that’s to be expected. If I’ve learned anything in the past several years as a web developer it’s that WEB SITES ARE NEVER “DONE”! At some point you just have to accept what you have and move on to other things.